Recent Posts

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Spain...or, "No Hablo Espanol, Mi Amor."

Aside from an impressive amount of hits from Lithuania, does anyone even read this blog? I didn't think I'd post pictures, but I decided I have a personal photo deficit, so I should put some I've actually taken on my blog. Plus, Spain was amazing.

My grandma recently planned a girl’s trip to Spain, and I was lucky enough to be the recipient of one of the golden tickets! She invited my mom, Aunt Kathy, and cousin Chantel (who is one of my favorite people in the world) for their birthdays. You understand why I'm so lucky? Not my birthday. I like to think it's because I'm so fun. We drove and flew around for a week, and stayed in Malaga, BEAUTIFUL Ronda, Gibraltar, Marbella on the Mediterranean Coast, and Madrid. We were disappoint the port to Morocco was closed, but in retrospect, I’m a little relieved after Thursday's event. We stopped by a Picasso museum (he is from Malaga!), saw castles and cathedrals, watched flamenco dancers,and picked tuna off of everything. WHAT'S WITH THE TUNA?!! I love seafood, and I know we are by the coast, but this was like, mashed up, processed can tuna on salads, crepes, sandwiches...and floating in my EGG YOLK. Anyway, we also blew up lots of converters, ate paella & gazpacho, and tried to tan by the Mediterannean. I enjoyed the "real life" nuns. The last one I saw was at Jack in the Box, so this felt more appropriate.

Also worth mentioning: my first experience with Ambien, and my first experience in First Class. Hey, it was an accident, but I thoroughly enjoyed drinking my beverage out of a real glass instead of a plastic cup. And my cheese platter.

One would assume that after 7 years of Spanish classes, I'd be able to converse at LEAST on an elementary level. Nope. So Chantel and I decided to end all of our choppy Spanish words with, "Mi amor," and then people at least went along with our charades. Out of several other European countries I've visited, Spain spoke the least English. Not what I expected! Between a severe language barrier and renting a car in a new country (a car with windshield wipers of doom that never turned off, nonetheless), with all signs in Spanish and directions in kilometers, this adventure had plenty of reality show potential. The possible cover for "Ashton and Chantel take Spain:"

Total toursits.


OR


Almost getting ran over by a dolphin bus at the top of Gibraltar after being chased by a monkey for a granola bar.


INCREDIBLE TRIP!!! We LOVED the time to be silly and catch up. Thanks Grandma! ABUELITA!! See, I knew that one.

7 comments:

The Facers said...

Oh man, I agree and I would have watched..Ashton Scurr takes on Spain in..."No Hablo Espanol, Mi Amor." Definitely a show destined for greatness. DLP on board!

Amy Vanus said...

I'd watch too!! :) sounds like you had a wonderful time! maybe sometime we can graduate from girl's nights to girl's trips! that would be amazing!

Nicki said...

In answer to your question at the beginning, yes, I read your blog regularly.

For the Love of Hair said...

Thanks for all the pictures:) Looks like you guys had fun!!

For the Love of Hair said...

p.s. this is katelyn

C&C said...

you are so adorable and your trip looks awesome! jealous. I hope to be a cool/hip grandma like yours one day...

*amy egbert* said...

Oh my stars!!!! Lucky little spaniard.