Recent Posts

Thursday, September 17, 2009

UVU, Taylor Andrews...We're Professionals.

Check out our new married blog! Doesn't it feel different? When you stop by our page, doesn't it just fill your whole screen and whole room with feelings of marital sophistication? Aren't we just maturity personified? I know. Brian’s made a few cameos on my blog, but now he’s the main man. On OUR blog. Welcome to our uber-girly blog, husband. Now we can officially title our blog something like, “How to be poor,” or “What insurance?”

We can also officially title me as a wife! And for the first few weeks, I felt like I was on a reality show. Newlyweds or something. Newlyweds: The Mormon Edition. Like it wasn’t my actual life, because it was (and any Newlyweds: The Mormon Edition viewer would agree) unreasonably perfect. Fun jobs, big city, trips to CA and AZ, an amazing wedding, and a honeymoon so unbelievable that Nick and Jessica would consider reconciliation just to be back on the show.

After a whirlwind summer in Las Vegas, Brian and I are back in Utah now. Even though I’ve been up here over 4 years, it feels completely different here being married instead of in college living with 7 girls. I can’t understand exactly what I had anticipated. I married my favorite person in the world, but perhaps somewhere in the teeny dark corners of my mind that are so small and unvisited that they could only have been created to store math knowledge, I had envisioned the same lifestyle I experienced living with girls.

I guess I just assumed impromptu dance parties to Britney while getting ready for the day was customary in life. Borrowing clothes, being borrowed from, going to the gym and then stopping to get ice cream right after…isn’t that the archetypal college life? Sure, I’d go grocery shopping with my husband and do wifely things, but we’d hold hands and go teetering down the isle in fun shoes. Yeah, that would be great…if he was gay.

But Brian is very not gay, so we don’t do that; thus the need for acclimatization to this new Utah life and a slight feeling of separation anxiety from those friends who have moved and forsaken me in the arctic. I AM excited to begin married life in the arctic though…because it is just for 15 months, right husband? :)

Brian is in school and loving it, and will continue to love it until next December.
Since I received both my Bachelor and M.R.S. degrees this year, I thought I’d also continue on with my education. I have mixed feelings about not teaching high school this year, but am looking forward to a different direction of schooling. In Brian’s words, I’m going to grad school to study hair follicles and chemical alterations. In laymen’s terms, I’m going to hair school while he finishes up.


So begins Utah part deux.

15 comments:

Camille Lewis said...

holy moly Ashton. I love this post. I was laughing the whole time, partly because I can relate to everything you said, and partly because you are so dang witty.

Also, congrats about hair school! I am uber jealous... I'll admit. Good luck!

Jessy Carlisle said...

Mrs. Scurr... you crack me up. Welcome to married life, and yes it is not the same as living with girls. I still am going through seperation anxiety from all my friends/provo, but marriage is way better (except you can't borrow eachother's clothes...or tampons if you run out of them). I miss you mucho, and hopefully Dylan and I come to Provo soon to double date... or you and I can just go shopping:)

Kasie said...

You are hilarious . . . and yet your post is so totally true. I remember feeling the exact same way. Trust me, you will love your first year being married, but then, when you move on to your second year, you will be like, "Wow, we were just getting to know each other!" Love every minute of it!

Michael & Mindy said...

How fun! Good for you! And I love the new pic at the top.. Very cute

Matt and Tanya Wonderly said...

I love this new blog Mrs. Scuurrrrr. Indeed Utah is the arctic and I'm so glad we share the same opinion of the wonderland. Now only the so-called tropical place where I live.. jk. Yes, you can say we move around a little bit. Matt works for Pinnacle Security so we do the summer thing but we are here in California because we are now part of what we hope to be a year-round office here in Costa Mesa. I know. I love it.

Melissa said...

I love this post! It made me laugh -which was much needed. :)

naalie said...

Ashton... This is Natalie, I don't know how to change my name from naalie... I loved your post. Mostly because of how you described wanting to have an impromptu dance party to christmas music with me... I know your talking about me. And by the way i danced by myself to "santa can you hear me" this morning. I needed you with your hair straightener microphone to sing back up

Joeley said...

exactly why i love you. for all of the above reasons :)
i'll come visit you in utah. i think i'm coming in december? so hopefully you're there!

Kim said...

I am so glad you are finally going to hair school. You have been wanting to for so long! I wanna hear about the wedding deets!

Jayci said...

i think you should write a column for a witty, young newspaper or magazine. Don't you think? :) But Hair School will be FUN for you too. I'm excited for you! And hey, you can always borrow clothes from HIM.. HE just can't borrow from YOU. ha ha! I like that trade.

Kasey said...

Cute post!!! I heard you guys had a fun weekend with all the fam around! Wish we could have been there. My mom said you colored your hair (just what we were expecting now that you started hair school! ha ha) and that you look amazing! Post pics- I wanna see it! Love ya!

JordanGuy said...

So begins a new chapter in your lives and so begins a new chapter for my shoes after I scrub the grime off of them. I do hope we will be seeing Brian post some stuff on here. I like the new look of the blog

Michael & Mindy said...

I just got thinking...too bad you're going to hair school or you could be my long-term sub when I have my baby!

Kathy's Boys said...

You are so beautiful. You look gorgeous in your Wedding Dress. I'm so happy that you found the man of your dreams! You DO need to write in a magazine somewhere. I loved reading your post and you are just a doll. I heard your bro-inlaw is taking my neice to Homecoming . Small world. Take care, hope to see you sometime

Janae and Bil Bil said...

ASHTON!!!! It made my day to see you on friday and I am so so happy that we have reconnected and that we get to hang out on tuesday and now I have a new way to stalk you!! Your blog is so funny! Have I told you that you and brian are the most gorgeous couple ever????? love you!